The Foundation Degree in Health and Social Care combines one day per week of study with paid or voluntary work within health and social care to develop your understanding and knowledge of the sector. This work-related programme covers the key knowledge, understanding and practical skills required to prepare you for employment and is designed for those who already work within the health and social care sector and would like to progress their careers further.
Contact time (per week):
Typically one of the below:
• Level 3 Diploma
• Level 3 NVQ
• Access to Higher Education Programmes
• Equivalent Level 3 subject or vocational qualifications
Plus a work requirement of:
• A minimum of one year’s experience within the sector consisting of either employment or voluntary or work experience completed during previous qualifications
• You must currently be working or volunteering as a practitioner within the field of health and social care (equivalent of 12 hours per week), and be able to continue this throughout the 2 year programme of study
• Written support from your workplace
• A successful interview, and written task
- Introduction to the Study of Health and Social Care (Core)
- Psychological and Sociological Perspectives on Individual Life Span(Core)
- Values-based Practice in Health and Social Care(Core)
- Collaborative Practice in Health and Social Care(Core)
- Sociology of Health(Core)
- Meeting Diverse Needs of Service Users in Health and Social Care(Core)
- Skills for Project Research(Core)
You will learn through varied methods including lectures, seminars, workshops, independent study time, group discussions, presentations as well as digital learning techniques.
There will be no formal exams, instead a wide variety of assessment methods will be used including academic writing, reports, assignments, group presentations, online submissions and academic posters.
Successful completion of this course will provide you with the qualifications required to ‘top-up’ to a full Bachelor’s Degree at university in just one year to study a variety of degrees in the health and social care field. Acceptance on to these courses is at the discretion of the institution offering the top-up.
You might also progress in to employment in job roles such as a:
- Senior Healthcare Assistant
- Senior Family Support Worker
- Youth Worker
- Health and Social Care Practitioner or other supervisory or team leader roles.
You will have access to various study facilities including a recently refurbished Library where you’ll have access to books, journals and computers.
You will also have access to an Academic Support Tutor to assist you with your studies and careers advisors to help you with your future employment.
This course is enriched with a variety of trips, visits and guest speakers from the industry to develop your knowledge of different career opportunities. You will also have the opportunity to take part in careers days and other events to find out more about what is happening in the sector.
You will undertake 12 hours per week in paid or voluntary work in health and social care alongside your course.
University Level Menu
Level : Level 5
Awarding Body: This qualification is awarded by Bishop Grosseteste University and delivered by University Centre Stamford
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 2 Years Full Time
NCS UCAS Code: N33
Course Code: HCHSCAP
UCAS Code: H300
Fees : £6,500 per year
: 01780 484 311