Advance your career and move to higher level management roles with this part-time course. This course is designed for those working in the construction industry or wanting to progress to the sector and respond to the increasing demand for higher level professionals in the construction industry. The HNC in Construction and the Built Environment offers multiple pathways including construction, building services engineering or surveying. This course will allow you to progress to job roles such as a Site Manager, Surveyor or a Quantity Surveyor. Higher Apprenticeship (Level 4) opportunities may also be available.
Contact Time (per week)
- Part time: 1 day
You will preferably hold a Level 3 construction qualification, although mature learners with appropriate experience and/or professional qualifications are also encouraged to apply.
Entry can be dependent on a variety of academic and skills-based experience, and is evaluated on an individual basis.
- Individual Project (Core)
- Construction Technology(Core)
- Science and Materials(Core)
- Construction Practice and Management(Core)
Specialist and optional units are dependent upon the pathway you choose:
- Legal and Statutory Responsibilities in Construction (Specialist)
- Measurement and Estimating(Specialist)
- Financial Management and Business Practices in Construction(Specialist)
- Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)(Specialist)
- Principles of Structural Design(Specialist)
- Mathematics for Construction (Specialist)
- Principles of Heating System Design and Installation(Specialist)
- Principles of Ventilation and Air Condition Design and Installation(Specialist)
- Tender and Procurement(Optional)
You will undertake practical workshops, one-to-one tutorials, seminars, lectures and explore research strategies to support your professional development.
Assessment will be ongoing through assignments and projects. Some end of module and in-course examinations will also be taken.
This qualification is a step to help you gain a higher level, professional status within the construction industry and gives you access to the professional associations connected with the sector.
You will have access to various study facilities including a recently refurbished Library where you’ll have access to books, journals and computers. Our £3.5 million Construction Skills Centre is equipped with industry standard equipment to ensure you are prepared to excel in the industry.
You will also have access to an Academic Support Tutor to assist you with your studies and Careers Advisors to help you with your future employment.
You will have the opportunity to visit the Construction Trade Fair at the NEC Arena in Birmingham, as well as other trade based events.
University Level Menu
Level : Level 4
Awarding Body: Pearson edexcel
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 2 years
NCS UCAS Code: N33
Course Code: HCCONAP
UCAS Code: K330
Fees : £3,250 per year. Some travel costs will be required for external visits. This will typically be around £150.
: 01780 484 300