This course is designed to develop your experience and skills for working in a variety of motor industry sectors. You will gain a good working knowledge of tools and equipment, vehicle engines and engine systems, chassis systems, transmission and drive-line components, in our new, fully-equipped workshops.
This course is approximately 50% theory and 50% practical.
You will study the following units:
- Health and Safety Practices in Vehicle Maintenance Tools
- Equipment and Materials for Vehicle Maintenance Industry
- Introduction to the retail automotive maintenance and repair industry Spark ignition engine systems
- Components and operation Compression ignition engine systems
- Components and operation Steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance Vehicle wheels and tyres construction and maintenance
- Vehicle exhaust systems components and maintenance Introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
- Vehicle electrical foundation skills Basic vehicle valeting Light vehicle construction
- Removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- Removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components
- Inspection,repair and replacement of high performance light vehicle tyres
You will learn both in the classroom, with theory based discussion’s, multimedia presentations and worksheets and hands on practical learning with guided car chassis component and engine dismantling and rebuilds in our brand new Automotive Skills Centre. All materials used to support you in your studies are also made available via the internet.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to the Level 2 Diploma in Light Vehicle Maintenance and Repair, or the Level 2 Diploma in Motor Sport Vehicle Maintenance and Repair. You may also progress to a Motor Vehicle Maintentence and Repair Apprenticeship.
You will receive regular feedback in order to help you further develop your skills and prepare you for the assessments which consist of a series of practical assessments, written assessments and online tests.
You will require a uniform consisting of steel toe capped boots and overalls which can be purchased directly from our website. During your interview you will also sit an online suitability assessment. The result of this, plus your previous academic achievements and maturity will determine the level of course you are offered.
3 GCSEs at grades 3/D or above including English, maths and science or the Vehicle Technology Entry Level Diploma.
Level : Level 1
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 1 Year Full Time
Course Code : FLDVMAP
: 01780 484 311