This course has been designed to develop your practical skills and knowledge through real training in industry standard workshop environments. You will learn how to carry out second fixing and structural carcassing operations, whilst gaining an understanding of construction technology, information, quantities and communication. You will also learn and apply the principles of health and safety.
This course is approximately 30% theory and 70% practical.
You will study a range of units including:
- Carrying out first fixing operations
- Carrying out maintenance to non-structural carpentry work
- Carry out second fixing operations
- Carry out structural carcassing operations
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries (completed in Diploma level 1)
- Prepare and use carpentry and joinery portable power tools (completed in Diploma level 1)
- Understanding construction technology
- Understanding information, quantities and communication with others
You will complete work books and assignments using online resources. You will also take part in a Construction work placement which will give you on-site experience alongside opportunities to complete relevant community projects with New College Stamford.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to the Site Carpentry or Bench Joinery Diploma Level 3 or to job roles such as an Apprentice Site Carpenter, Trainee Carpenter or Trainee Joiner.
Dependent on your ability, you may continue your studies with the Extended Diploma in Construction and the Built Environment with a view to progressing to university or into managerial apprenticeship.
Each unit has a multiple choice core test, as well a practical synoptic test in the workshop. You will receive regular feedback on your performance and help and advice to enable you to be successful in the actual assessments.
You will be required to supply your own full length work trousers and safety footwear for the workshop, along with a change of footwear when leaving the workshop. You will also need course specific text books and stationery. You will be sent a full list of materials and equipment prior to enrolment.
Carpentry and Joinery Diploma Level 1 or equivalent, or relevant industry experience.
Level : Level 2
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 1 Year Full Time
Course Code : DPLSCAP
: 01780 484 311