Gain real life experience in professional cookery with practical training in food production, kitchen services and professional cookery. The course is designed to further your skills and career as a chef by building upon your existing knowledge and developing advanced techniques in a range of kitchen and pastry skills, including supervising a team in a professional kitchen.
You will gain hands on experience in our professional Gallery Restaurant and have the opportunity to visit various professional kitchens, restaurants and exhibitions such as Hotel Olympia and the BBC Good Food Show. You will also take part in master classes hosted by industry renowned chefs and experts in hospitality and have regular visits from suppliers and manufacturers linked to your chosen profession.
This course is approximately 20% theory and 80% practical.
You will study the following units:
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food (this unit is accredited prior to learning and a copy of a valid level 2 certificate is required as proof)
- Contribute to the development of menus
- Prepare fish for complex dishes
- Prepare meat for complex dishes
- Prepare poultry for complex dishes
- Cook and finish complex fish dishes
- Cook and finish complex meat dishes
- Cook and finish complex
- Poultry dishes Cook and finish complex vegetable products
- Prepare finish and present canapé and cocktail products
- Prepare cook and finish complex hot desserts
- Prepare cook and finish complex cold desserts
You will gain practical training in our industry standard kitchens to develop new skills and enhance existing skills. Though a process of practical demonstrations, group workshops and one to one training, you will be taught the skills needed to be assessed as competent in a wide range of preparation and cooking techniques, food service and customer care. All practical learning is re-enforced by studying the theory of catering in the classroom.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress on to Senior Chef or Hospitality Supervisor Apprenticeships, or employment in a professional kitchen in job roles such as: Kitchen Assistant, Front- of-House Supervisor, Commis Chef, Sous Chef or a Chef de Partie.
You will be assessed through practical and on-going observations and assessments including the completion of multiple choice papers. There are no formal practical or theoretical examinations for this programme.
You will require a uniform, equipment, reference books, and the ability to participate in educational visits to support your learning. Health, safety and hygene standards will also need to be met and work experience will assist your progression and possible employment.
Food Production and CookingDiploma Level 2 or equivalent. You will also be required to gain evidence for this qualificationthrough work experience.
Level : Level 3
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 1 year Full Time
Course Code : DP3PCAP
: 01780 484 311