This course is designed to give you a comprehensive insight into a career in Uniformed Public Services such as the Army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, Police and Ambulance Service. You will take part in a programme of outdoor activities to develop your technical and transferable skills, leadership, communication, confidence, resilience, reliability, adaptability and teamwork to enable you to be successful in your application to the public service area of your choice. The course will also require you to undertake work experience and volunteering units.
There will be opportunities to volunteer and enhance your CV through community based projects in the local area.
This course is approximately 80% theory and 20% practical.
You will study the following units:
- Government, Policies and the Public Services
- Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
- Citizenship, Diversity and the Public Services
- Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
Optional Units (not all will be selected)
- Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
- Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
- International Institutions and Human Rights
- Understand the Impact of War, Conflict and Terrorism on Public Services
- Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
- Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
- Crime and its Effects on Society
- Command and Control in the Uniformed Public Services
- Responding to Emergency Service Incidents
- Planning and Management of Major Incidents
- Police Powers in the Public Services
- Communication and Technology in the Uniformed Public Services
- Current and Media Affairs in Public Services
- Security Procedures in the Public Services
- Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
- Land Navigation by Map and Compass
You will learn through a variety of methods including lecture based theory sessions, practical classroom activities, simulated exercises and fitness and gym sessions, guest speakers and external visits.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to university to study degrees in Policing, Law, Criminology, Politics, War and Terrorism Studies or to a range of careers in the Uniformed Public Services.
There are no exams for this course. You will be assessed through written assignments, presentations and practical tasks.
You will be required to be in uniform throughout your days in college in both theory and practical sessions. This will be at a cost of £120 for a basic package with the opportunity to purchase other items if you desire. Course fees will be £100 for the year. This will cover adventurous activities and an expedition trips outside of college.
You will also require a pair of sports trainers (no fashion flat soled footwear).
You will be required to attend each lesson with a folder, dividers, plastic wallets and stationary. More information and details will be given at interview.
5 GCSEs at grade 4/C or above including English and maths, or a a Merit in Public Services Diploma Level 2.
Level : Level 3
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 2 Years Full Time
Course Code : ED3PSAP
: 01780 484 311