Work alongside and be trained by chefs from the area’s most renowned establishments. You will develop practical preparation and cooking skills in our industry standard kitchens, serving your own dishes to the public in ourprofessional restaurant – The Gallery Kitchen.
You will also achieve a NVQ2 Diploma in Food and Drink Service.
You will gain hands on experience in our professional Gallery Restaurant and have the opportunity to visit various professional kitchens, restaurants and exhibitions such as Hotel Olympia and the BBC Good Food Show. You will also take part in master classes hosted by industry renowned chefs and experts in hospitality and have regular visits from suppliers and manufacturers linked to your chosen profession.
This course is approximately 20% theory and 80% practical.
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Work effectively as part of a hospitality team
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food Maintain, handle and clean knives
- Prepare fish for basic dishes
- Prepare meat for basic dishes
- Prepare poultry for basic dishes
- Prepare vegetables for basic dishes
- Cook and finish basic fish dishes
- Cook and finish basic meat dishes
- Cook and finish basic poultry dishes Cook and finish basic vegetable dishes
- Prepare, cook and finish basic hot sauces
- Prepare cook and finish basic soups
- Make Basic Stock
- Prepare, cook and finish basic bread and dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish basic cold and hot desserts
You will gain practical training in our industry standard kitchens to develop new and enhance existing skills. Though a process of practical demonstrations, group workshops and one to one training, you will be taught the skills needed to be assessed as competent in a wide range of preparation and cooking techniques, food service and customer care. All practical learning is re-enforced by studying the theory of catering in the classroom.
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to the Level 3 Diploma in Professional Cookery or Hospitality Supervisor Apprenticeships, or enter employment.
You will be assessed through practical and on-going observations and assessments including the completion of multiple choice papers. There are no formal practical or theoretical examinations for this programme.
You will require a uniform, equipment, reference books, and the ability to participate in educational visits to support your learning. Health, safety and hygiene standards will also need to be met and work experience will assist your progression and possible employment.
Hospitality Services Diploma Level 1 or equivalent.
Level : Level 2
Starts : 09 September, 2019
Duration : 1 Year Full Time
Course Code : DL2PCAP
: 01780 484 311