Your Programme Leader is on hand to support, guide and advise you throughout your time at UCS. You will have regular meetings with them so they can give you the necessary help you need to achieve your goals. You will be given regular opportunities to discuss your progress in one-to-one reviews.
ACADEMIC SUPPORT COACH
In addition to the support you will get from your Programme Leader, additional help is available from the Academic Support Coach who can help with your academic writing, referencing and study skills.
ADDITIONAL LEARNING SUPPORT
When you come to study with us, we want you to be able to fulfil your potential. If you have, or think you have a condition which is likely to affect your personal learning then we want to help. Higher Education students who require additional learning support need to apply for a Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) from the government to pay. We are here to support you in making this application but it can take some time, so it is important you contact us as early as possible. See page 54 for more information.
THE WELFARE TEAM
The team are here to help you be healthy, happy and successful. They can help you with a range of issues and can provide someone to speak to, a listening service, and are able to help you contact a wide range of organisations who can offer help and support.
THE STUDENT UNION
The Student Union’s role is to represent you. It is also one of the main ways that we listen and make changes or improvements based on the feedback collected. As a student you are entitled to have a say in what goes on and has the chance to shape the setting where you study for your qualifications.
Situated at the heart of the Centre by the Bistro, the Careers Team is always on hand to offer you friendly, impartial and professional advice and guidance, even as graduates and alumni.
FOCUS: We will help you to focus on how you want to use your qualification and help identify your key skills.
ASSIST: We will assist you to decide on a suitable career direction and alternatives where necessary.
COACH: We will coach you through the decision-making process, helping you to make wise choices about your future.
We provide comprehensive and professional careers advice and guidance service to all students. Our professionally qualified Careers Advisors will work with individuals and groups of students to help you maximise the benefits of your studies.
We make sure that you have the tools to market yourself and your qualifications in an increasingly competitive market by:
• Supporting you to produce professional CVs and job applications.
• Showing you effective job searching techniques, utilising technology and social media to your advantage.
• Preparing and practicing for making a positive impact in selection interviews and assessment centres.
• Making and maintaining positive relationships with local and national employers, ensuring they understand the advantages of taking on ourUCS Graduates.
• Assisting you to move on academically, helping you to find higher level courses to ‘top-up’ your qualifications and to access the funding you need to continue your studying.
• Making sure that as Higher Education Centre Stamford Alumni you know you can always return to us for further support later in your career should you wish.