16 – 19 Financial Support

New College Stamford offers financial support to help those young people aged 16-18 at the start of their course who face the greatest barriers to continuing in education or training.

Funding is provided by the Government (16-19 Bursary Fund) to help students who are having the greatest difficulty meeting some of their further education course costs.

The 16-19 Bursary Fund has 2 elements, these are:

  • 16-19 Vulnerable Student Bursary
  • 16-19 Discretionary Bursary

16-19 Vulnerable Student Bursary

If you fall into one of the following groups you may be eligible to apply for the 16-19 Vulnerable Bursary:

  • Young People in Care
  • Care Leavers
  • Receiving Income support or Universal credit in your own right because you are financially supporting yourself or/and someone who is dependent on you
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independent Payment in your own right and Employment Support Allowance or Universal Credit in your own right

If you fall into one or more of these groups above you can apply for a Vulnerable Bursary of up to £1,200 per academic year.

16-18 Discretionary Bursary

If you are under the age of 19 at the start of your course and have a low household income you may be eligible for support towards various course related costs, these are listed below.

You will be required to provide evidence of the total household income, this may include any earned income you receive, or evidence of all benefits you receive.

Course Fees

Students studying a Level 2 qualification, who are required to pay course fees may be eligible for assistance towards these costs. If this applies to you, you may be able to apply for financial support towards these costs if your household income is below £20,000.

Advanced Learner Loans

Advanced Learner Loans to support the cost of your course fees are available to the following students studying a Level 3 to 6 qualifications:

  • Learners aged 19 to 23 who already hold a full Level 3 qualification
  • Learners aged 24 and over

Students taking out an Advanced Learner Loan will also be eligible for support towards equipment, uniform, transport costs and some childcare funding through the Learner Support Fund.

For more information on our Advanced Learner Loans please click here.

Transport, Equipment and Uniform

If you have a household income of £30,000 or less you may be eligible for support towards your transport costs. This may include a fuel allowance if you are granted a college car parking permit.

If the household income is £20,000 or below there may be additional support towards the costs of any essential equipment and uniform such as equipment and uniform for the NVQ Level 2/3 in Hairdressing or the studio fee for the Diploma in Foundation Studies Art and Design.

Free College Meals

If you are aged 16 to 18 at the beginning of your course and you, your partner or parents are in receipt of any of the following benefits you may be eligible for Free College Meals:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credits (But not working Tax Credits) with a gross annual income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by HMRC
  • Universal Credit with net earnings not exceeding the equivalent of £7,400 pa

If you are aged 19 to 24 and have a Learning Difficulty Assessment (LDA) or an Education Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan) and you, your partner or parents are in receipt of any of the benefits listed above you may also be eligible for Free College Meals.

16-19 Childcare Costs

If you are aged 16 to 19 at the start of your course you can apply to Care to Learn for help with your childcare costs. Students apply direct using the following website www.gov.uk/care-to-learn.

20+ Childcare

If you are aged 20 or over and are planning to use an OFSTED registered nursery, child minder or pre/after school club for your child whilst you are at college, we may be able to help with the costs if your household income is £30,000 or below. Childcare is not paid during college holiday periods; this is only paid during term-time.

How do I apply?

Application forms are available from the Student Services, please contact us on 01780 484300 ext. 344 or email financial.support@stamford.ac.uk

The Student Services Financial Support Advisor will explain what information and evidence you need to provide and assist you to successfully complete the form if required.

We’re here to help so if you have any questions or concerns please get in touch.

Please contact Student Services for more information on 01780 484300 ext. 344 or complete our online enquiry form here.