After successful completion of this course you will be able to progress to university to study a Media Make-up or a Special Effects Make-up degree. You could also enter employment in theatres, TV studios, cosmetic counters and on cruise ships.
What can this course lead to?
Who is it for?
Master your skills for a career in film, editorial theatre or special effects make-up through covering a range of topics including: airbrushing, camouflage, fashion and photographic make-up, styling and fitting a postiche, wig services and the advanced dressing of women’s hair. You will gain extensive work experience at local theatres, amateur dramatic groups and fashion shows.
What is covered?
You will study a range of units including:
- Apply Airbrush Make-up to the face
- Camouflage Make-up
- Media Make-up
- Style and Fit Postiche
- Fashion and Photographic Make-up
- Apply Prosthetics and Bald Caps
- Client Care and Communication in Beauty-related industries
- Monitor and maintain health and safety practice in the salon
- Creative Hairdressing Design Skills
- Create and cast small prosthetic pieces and Bald Caps or Body Art Design (these may be subject to change)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
A Hair and Media Make-up Diploma Level 2 or Beauty Therapy Diploma Level 2 qualification.
Level 3 is a continuation from the Level 2 Hair and Media Make-up course. You require this knowledge and experience in both Hair and Make-up from the Level 2 qualification.
Whatever your results, we want to assure you that extenuating circumstances will be considered should you not have the grades indicated above.
We will review each application on a case-by-case basis to ensure you get a place on the course most suitable for you.
One of the ways we do this is through a very effective ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support such as (but not limited to):
· Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks -subject to availability
· Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard subject to availability
· One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving wellOur course enquiries and admissions team are available at email@example.com should you have any further questions.
There will be a lot of underpinning written work to begin with. Each unit will have at least one written assignment and several practical assessments.
The course subjects are divided into units. Each unit will have a written assignment and several practical assessments (which also will have written evidence to support the practical work). There are some units that will have online tests.
You will need to purchase a college kit and uniform through the college. You will add to the kit throughout the year and are also expected to source clients for practical learning and gain relevant work experience. Please see our Student Support pages to see how we can support you with buying equipment.
We work with a professional photographer for some unit assessments, this will be a additional cost, Learners will be made aware of when the shoots will happen and the pricing of these in advance of the photoshoot day. Learners will receive a USB of edited images and an A4 print of their favourite photo to build a professional portfolio.
We have guest speakers, as well as successful past students now working in the industry come in to visit the students throughout the course. You will also have the opportunity to compete in regional and national competitions such as the AHT Hair and Make-up Awards.
There may be enrichment and trips planned for the academic year, these will also be at an additional cost, again Learners will be made aware of cost and details well in advance of the trip/event. All enrichment is subject to change.