Practical Vs Theory
What Does The Programme Include
The course is delivered through a variety of methods, which you will be encouraged to critique and form a community of practice. Therefore discussion is a core element of the delivery, together with practical activities and seminar-based learning. You will be encouraged to trial ICT methods in the classroom and experiment with a range of delivery and assessment tools. Developmental observations by tutor and mentor are an essential feature of the course and you will be supported in the development of a professional portfolio throughout your two years of study.
- Minimum of a Level 3 qualification (e.g. A Level, NVQ) in the subject(s) that you intend to teach
- Access to 100 hours teaching over 2 years with no fewer than 50 hours in one year
- Appropriate Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check • For PGDE, you must hold a UK first degree (or equivalent)
- Level 2 English and Maths (In special circumstances, and at the discretion of your interviewing tutor, you may be able to study English and maths alongside the course). If you wish to undertake specialist pathways you will need to provide evidence of personal skills in English or maths at QCF Level 3.
How The Course Will Be Assessed
You will be assessed through the creation of a portfolio of evidence, such as lesson observations and reflective elements, including a diary and Personal Development Plan. As well as the portfolio, you will complete assignments, for example written, oral and research tasks.
Potential Future Career
This qualification carries 120 Higher Education credits which you might later put towards a University degree. For those undertaking the Certificate in Education route, successful completion of this programme will allow you to ‘top-up’ to a full degree with at a university offering an appropriate pathway. Completion of this qualification will enable successful students to apply for the professional status of Qualified Teacher, Learning and Skills (QTLS), with the Society for Education and Training.
- Learning, Teaching and Assessment in Education and Training (Core)
- Responsive Teaching in the Education and Training Sector (Core)
- Professional Engagement in the Education and Training Sector (Core)
- Teaching a Specialist Subject in Education and Training (if you are undertaking a specialist pathway, this will be in English or maths) (Core)
You will have access to various study facilities including a recently refurbished Library which provides all the study material you may need on your course.
You will also have access to an Academic Support Tutor to assist you with your studies and careers advisors to help you with your future employment.
The combination of theory and practical sessions really immerses you into the subject and experiences to progress into the industry!