Practical Vs Theory
This dynamic course covers a wide variety of subjects areas, broadening your experience and developing the skills you need to progress in the creative media industry. You will cover topics such as: animation, advertising, app design, film and television, games design, graphics, illustration, photography, sound, web design and 3D modelling and working with a range of software programmes, and building a portfolio of work in your own chosen pathway.
What Does The Programme Include
Love Media? See yourself being the next big film director, animator, 3D artist or web designer? Our programme on the level 3 Creative Media will provide you with an opportunity to begin your journey within the Creative Media industry.
You will study through a variety of workshops, projects and classroom based activities. You will develop a wide range of technical skills in, and knowledge of, audio, video, animation, graphics, concept art, and web based work. Other related topics will include narrative storytelling, contextual influences, understanding audiences, develop verbal, visual and written communication skills.
5 GCSEs at grades 4/C or above, including English and maths and an arts or media based subject. Alternatively, a Merit in a relevant Level 2 Diploma, and a GCSE grade 4/C in English and maths, or a pass for functional skills Level 2 English and Maths.
Once we have received your application you will be requested to submit a portfolio prior to an interview/informal chat with the tutor before an offer to study with us can be confirmed.
We also run a ‘6 weeks to success’ programme that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes:
• Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks — subject to course availability
• Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard — subject to course availability
• One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
A Merit in your first year is required to enter the second year Extended Diploma.
How The Course Will Be Assessed
You will be assessed through a range of projects and develop portfolio of evidence which will be internally assessed. Units 1 to 7 in year one are marked as a Pass. Unit 8 is graded a pass, merit or distinction. The grade you achieve for unit 8 will determine your overall grade for year one. In year two units 9 to 12 are marked as a pass, unit 13 is graded a pass, merit or distinction. The grade you achieve for unit 13 will determine your overall grade for the full two years. Currently this course is not exam based. You can utilise your portfolio to take to University or job interviews to showcase your abilities.
You will require a 2GB SD card and at least a 250GB external portable hard drive. These can be purchased for approximately £65. Please see our college life web page to see how we may be able to support you with these purchases https://www.stamford.ac.uk/college-life
Potential Future Career
Progress to creative degrees at university. You could also enter employment in areas such as: film and TV production, visual effects, animation, graphics, games, photography, illustration and many more
You will study the following units: Year one
- Unit 1 Introduction to media processes and technical skills
- Unit 2 Introduction to design and research skills in creative media production
- Unit 3 Introduction to professional practice in creative media production
- Unit 4 Critical and contextual awareness in creative media production
- Unit 5 Investigating audio production and technology
- Unit 6 Investigating visual production and technology
- Unit 7 Investigating interactive production and technology
- Unit 8 Developing a creative media Production project
- Unit 9 Characteristics and contexts in creative media production
- Unit 10 Engaging with an audience in creative media production
- Unit 11 Preparing for progression in creative media production
- Unit 12 Specialist study in creative media production
- Unit 13 Extended project in creative media production
There are many opportunities for you to work with real employers to real briefs, gaining plenty of experience for Uni or employment!