Practical Vs Theory
Explore visual language, research skills, project proposal and realisation and build your critical and contextual awareness through a series of live projects. You’ll deepen your knowledge of Art and Design and experiment with a range of specialisms including typography, illustration, 3D design, narrative storytelling, editorial layout and composition.
This course is enriched with a variety of trips and visits from guest speakers from the industry including photographers, fashion designers, illustrators and past students. You will have the opportunity to visit New York on the Creative Arts 5 day residential trip in February as well as regular project related trips throughout the year.
You will study a range of units including:
- Introduction to visual language in art and design
- Introduction to research skills in art and design
- Introduction to critical and contextual awareness in art and design
- Introduction to materials, processes and technical skills in art and design
- An integrated approach to 2D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to 3D problem solving in art and design
- An integrated approach to time-based problem solving
- Developing an art and design project
- Opportunities for progression in art and design
Year 2 modules include:
- Characteristics and contexts in art and design
- Preparation for progression in art and design
- Engaging with an audience in art and design
- Project proposal and realisation in art and design
Learners who have high needs make good progress in programmes specially designed for them, and those who participate in other courses progress in line with their peers.