Practical Vs Theory
Develop a range of skills and knowledge for a career in the IT industry. This course will give you a solid understanding of web technologies, database systems and digital graphics whilst developing a digital portfolio to showcase your skills to potential employers and course leaders.
Besides using a range of academic methods such as writing reports, producing presentations and taking part in discussions, you will design and develop solutions such as a database application, digital graphic products and websites.
What Does The Programme Include
You will learn through a variety of different methods to support individual learning styles including; written reports, practical activities, presentations, posters, displays, leaflets and through utilising social media.
4 GCSEs at grades 3/D or above, including English and maths, or a relevant Level 1 Diploma plus English and maths at 3/D or above.
We will review each application on a case-by-case basis to ensure you get a place on the course most suitable for you.
One of the ways we do this is through a very effective ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support such as (but not limited to):
- Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks ‑subject to availability
- Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard — subject to availability
- Incorporating English and maths GCSE resits in to your timetable if you haven’t reached the pass grade of 4 or above
- One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
Our course enquiries and admissions team can be contacted at email@example.com should you have any further questions.
How The Course Will Be Assessed
There are two mandatory units which are each externally assessed by way of an examination. The other 4 remaining units are internally assessed, each unit having 3 assignments which you will need to complete.
As part of the course requirements, all students must carry out one week work placement. We recommend looking as early as possible for a suitable placement especially if you want to work in the IT field.
You will also have be given the opportunity to retake GCSE Maths and/or English or follow the Functional Skills route if required, and will automatically be enrolled on these subjects if you have not achieved a grade 4.
Potential Future Career
On successful completion of this course you can progress to the Level 3 IT, Computing or Air and Defence Diplomas. You will need to pass the course with a merit and have also passed your GCSE maths and English at a 4 or above
Alternatively if you are 18 you could enter full time employment, or consider an apprenticeship. The IT skills you have will allow you to work in a wide range of fields, not just IT!
The units you will study include:
- The Online World (External Assessment)
- Technology Systems (External Assessment)
- A Digital Portfolio (Internal Assessment)
- Creating Digital Graphics (Internal Assessment)
- Database Development (Internal Assessment)
- Website Development (Internal Assessment)