Practical Vs Theory
This course is now full. New applicants will be placed on a waiting list and be contacted should a place become available. Alternatively, applications for courses starting in September 2020 will open in October.
This course is designed to develop your experience and skills for working in a variety of motor industry sectors. You will gain a good working knowledge of tools and equipment, vehicle engines and engine systems, chassis systems, transmission and drive-line components, in our new, fully-equipped workshops. This course is approximately 50% theory and 50% practical.
You will study the following units:
- Health and Safety Practices in Vehicle Maintenance Tools
- Equipment and Materials for Vehicle Maintenance Industry
- Introduction to the retail automotive maintenance and repair industry Spark ignition engine systems
- Components and operation Compression ignition engine systems
- Components and operation Steering and suspension systems components and maintenance (4 wheels or more)
- Vehicle braking systems components and maintenance Vehicle wheels and tyres construction and maintenance
- Vehicle exhaust systems components and maintenance Introduction to low carbon technologies in the automotive industry
- Vehicle electrical foundation skills Basic vehicle valeting Light vehicle construction
- Removing and replacing light vehicle electrical units and components
- Removing and replacing light vehicle chassis units and components
- Inspection,repair and replacement of high performance light vehicle tyres