Discover courses and in-demand careers and education based on your interests!
Follow the link below to:
- Take a Career Assessment to learn about yourself and Career Coach will give you career suggestions based on your interests.
- Browse or search for careers and we will give you relevant data on wages, employment, and the training you need.
- Browse or search for the available Courses that lead to the career you want.
- Build you CV using our easy-to-use CV builder will help you create a professional CV.
We recommend a more in depth discussion following your careers assessment with Tim Silcock, our resident Careers Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org, to help put the results in context and plan an appropriate route ahead.
Meet our Careers Co-ordinator
New College Stamford’s Careers Co-ordinator, Tim Silcock, is a Registered Career Development Professional, who is qualified to Level 7 and a member of the Career Development Institute (CDI). Tim has extensive experience in both the public and private sectors and nearly 20 years experience as a Careers Coach working with young people and adults all over the UK and Republic of Ireland (ROI).
He is available to talk to you about any careers related questions or concerns you might have, and will provide impartial advice and guidance on:
- Potential Career Routes
- Progression to Higher Education /University
- HE Financial Support
- Developing a winning CV
- The best ways to approach the job market
- Using Social Media to further your career
- Interview skills and preparation
- Longer term Career Management
As a member of the CDI, Tim is committed to delivering impartial advice under the CDI’s Code of Ethics and is involved in a process of continuous professional development.
Contact Tim on:
01780 484300 Ext: 353
Or pop in to see him in the Careers and Course Information Office, just opposite main reception.
Applying for University
We provide comprehensive support for those students wishing to apply for University including:
- Parent pack containing all the key information and dates to support your child with their next steps (see below);
- University Prospectuses held in the Careers Hub;
- Tutorial briefings on the application process and how to complete a winning personal statement;
- One-to-One coaching and checking service on application and personal statement completion;
- Mock interviews for targeted groups and individuals;
- Tutorial and one-to-one advice on Student Finance applications and repayments
Virtual Open Events
A virtual open event is an excellent opportunity to learn more about university life, tour the campus, watch videos, explore their courses and chat LIVE to lecturers and admissions support staff.
Find a list of upcoming events here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/events/find?keywords=virtual%20events
Other useful resources:
University of Leicester https://www.pathwaystohe.ac.uk/resourcesand https://www.pathwaystohe.ac.uk/activities
The UCAS Application Process
For more support and information on the UCAS application process, visit the link below.
Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG)
New College Stamford is accredited by Matrix Standard Award for information, advice and guidance so you can be sure that the advice you receive in college is of a high standard and we are committed to continuing to work to these standards and the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks.
We provide Careers Education Information Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) service to ALL. Our qualified Careers adviser is available to provide personal guidance and can help you:
- Look at your options
- Choose a course or career that is right for you
- Search for jobs
- Prepare for employment with help creating a winning CV and mock interview training
- Choose and apply to university
Careers Programme Calendar
All of our study programmes are focused on progression to learning at the next level or to employment. We offer high-quality support and personal guidance to help students make decisions about their next steps that is right for them and to aspire to achieve their full potential.
We offer a successful careers programme that is embedded into the curriculum with an extensive offer of career guidance, support and activities throughout the year.
New College Stamford are actively following the Gatsby Careers Benchmarks.
The College offers ‘drop- in’ sessions and appointments with our specialist Careers Advisor. Appointments can be booked via telephone, email or through Student Services.
Telephone: 01780 484300 ext. 353
Applying for a Job
Advice & Guidance on Building a CV
A CV is your chance to show an employer that you’ve got the skills and experience that they need.
For the vast majority of job applications, a CV is an essential. Short for curriculum vitae, a CV outlines your skills and experience, giving a potential employer a breakdown of what you’ve done previously, and how it applies to the job role you’re applying for.
Learning to write an effective CV is a great way to ensure that you have the best chance of receiving an interview. It’s often very good practice to change your CV for each job you’re applying for, making sure that your personal statement references the job in question.
At New College Stamford, we can support our students to help with creating CVs and giving advice on the best way to write one. If you’d like help, contact a progression coach, or one of your lecturers, and they’ll be able to help you.
You can also read below and visit the Gov.uk website for more advice and guidance on building your CV.
Gov.uk Job and CV Advice
The National Careers Service has a number of excellent guides and advice sections on creating your CV and applying for jobs. Visit one of the following links for more information.