Apply for a laptop to help with your studies
Chromebooks are fast, light and have an all day battery, and you can now benefit from a College discount to get yourself a brand new Chromebook for your college work.
- Your own, fully insured technology.
- Pay for a discounted device out right or with affordable payments over 12 months.
- Own your device when payments are complete.
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is a personal computer that is like a laptop — but its not the same. A Chromebook runs the Google Chrome browser. Anything you can do with the Google Chrome browser, you can do with a Chromebook. But because its not a laptop there are some things that it can’t do. For example you can’t play any Windows games.
Is a Chromebook right for me?
The answer is probably yes. Unless you need to run Windows only software like the Adobe Suite, then Chromebooks are highly recommended for you.
- Acer Chromebook 311 C733-C2VX
- 11.6” Screen
- Intel Celeron N4000 Processor
- 802.11ac WiFi
- 4Gb RAM
- 32Gb eMMC Storage
How do I apply for a laptop /chromebook?
To apply for our Chromebook leasing scheme visit www.tech4learners.co.uk
To access your exclusive discount enter:
- Your email address
- Username: IEG2020
- Password: S3cure02!
All applications made by 11 October 2020 will receive their device by the end of October.
Applications made between 12 and 18 October will receive their devices by the end of November.
What is the difference between a laptop and a chromebook?
- Very fast to turn on - Almost instant power on - a bit like a mobile phone
- No maintenance - there is no anti-virus software to update and there are no system updates
- Battery will last all day - the battery in most chromebooks will last 10 hours.
- Not expensive - Chromebooks are usually much cheaper than laptops
- All of your files are stored in the cloud - there is no local storage so you need to be connected to WiFi all the time
- Very easy to use - You simply login with your Google ID and password
- Runs all of the Google apps - Getting access to your college email and Google classroom is easy
- Cannot run some programs - you can't run some programs like the Adobe Suite or Windows games
- Can run all Windows - a laptop can run all your favourite programs including games and niche software like the Adobe Suite
- Runs all of the Google apps - you just need to install the chrome browser and then sign into it with your Google account
- Large local storage - you can store files locally on your laptop
- Battery does not always last all day - may laptops, especially the cheaper ones, have a small battery that will usually last just 3 hours
- Expensive - a good laptop will cost a lot more than a chromebook
- Requires maintenance - laptops require regular system updates including anti-virus software
Kits by Course
Art and Design
Art and Design Level 1 and 2 - £0
At Level 1 and 2 you do not have a kit fee. You will be provided with all materials required and your lecturer will advise you of anything you need in addition to this.
Art and Design Level 3 - £60 per year
For Level 3, we will provide you with a kit of all the materials you will need to get you started for £60, this is mandatory and must be paid online via our wisepay payment portal when you enrol.
This kit includes:
- Double Sided Tape
- Grip Rulers
- Broad tip felt tip pens set
- Pencil Sharpener
- 38" Synthetic Wash Brushes
- No8 Hog Brushes
- A4 Landscape Travel Sketchbook
- Gouache Paint Pack
- Assorted Paint Brushes
- Small Brush Size 0
- A3 Cutting Mat
- Acrylic Paints
- Watercolour Tin
- Spray Mount
- Scalpol handles and blades
- Sakura White Gelly Roll Pens
- A3 Sketchbooks
Art and Design Foundation Diploma - £165
For the Foundation Diploma the kit fee is £165 to be paid online via our wisepay payment portal at enrolment.
Beauty Therapy Level 1 and Level 2
Beauty Therapy Level 1 and 2 students will need to purchase the following before the start of your course:
- Ellison's compulsory package
- Stationery list
Ellisons compulsory package - £255.50
Package includes 80 beauty essentials such as palettes, files, polishes, strip lashes, tints, brushes, sponges and wedges. A full description of items included can be found on the online order form, please click the link below to see more.
Unique College Code: SKCH25450
Kit Code: SKBA6317