Progress to the Public Services Level 3 or an Armed Forces Apprenticeship, or enter employment.
What can this course lead to?
Who is it for?
Develop the skills, knowledge and understanding required for a career in the Uniformed Public Services such as the Police, Army, Royal Air Force or Royal Navy. You will be stretched and challenged to prepare you for the robust recruitment stages within the services.
You will explore units such as: public service skills, crime and the effects on society, and health and fitness for entry to the public services. You will also take part in multi-day expeditions, work experience and volunteering units with the opportunity to take part in community projects to enhance your CV.
What is covered?
Units for the course include (but not all):
- Public Services Skills and support for the community
- Employment in the uniformed public service
- Health and fitness into entry for the uniformed public services
- Activities and teamwork for public services
- Expeditions and land navigations skills
- Crime and its effects on society
- Driving in the Public Services
- Volunteering in Public Services
There is also the option to sign up for the Duke of Edinburgh Award and the option of studying on the Air Defence College
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
4 GCSEs at grades 3/D or above, including English and maths or progression from a suitable Level 1 Diploma course
We will review each application on a case-by-case basis to ensure you get a place on the course most suitable for you.
One of the ways we do this is through a very effective ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support such as (but not limited to):
- Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks -subject to availability
- Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard— subject to availability
- Enrolling you automatically on GCSE English or maths if you do not a pass at a grade 4
- One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
Our course enquiries and admissions team are available at email@example.com should you have any further questions.
You will develop skills across the course to prepare you for Public Service employment. This will be through tutor led presentations, team tasks and challenges, student led activities, giving presentations, monitoring personal health and fitness levels and other forms of skill development. You will also have several guest speakers in from the services who will deliver presentations and sessions and be available for Q and A.
You will be assessed through written assignments, presentations and practical activities.
You will be required to be in uniform throughout your days in college in both theory and practical sessions. This will be at a cost of £120 for a basic package with the opportunity to purchase other items if you desire. Course fees will be £100 for the year. This will cover adventurous activities and an expedition trips outside of college You will also require a pair of sports trainers (no fashion flat soled footwear). Please see the College Life section on our website to see how the college may be able to support you with these requirements https://www.stamford.ac.uk/college-life
You will be required to attend each lesson with a folder, dividers, plastic wallets and stationary.