Successful completion of this course will provide you with the underpinning skills and knowledge to progress onto the second year of the programme. Following completion of the Diploma this will allow you to progress onto University or gain employment as a Sports Coach alongside your preferred sport. Apprenticeship options would also be available following the course leading onto School Sport Coordination Roles and P.E Teaching longer term.
What can this course lead to?
Who is it for?
If you want to pursue a career in the Sports Coaching industry then this is an excellent place to start. This course will provide you with the underpinning skills and knowledge to aid your progression into the Sports Coaching industry. This qualification is equivalent in size to 1 A Level and meets entry requirements for those who would like to progress to university or even head straight into employment following the second year where you will achieve two A Levels.
What is covered?
You will study the following:
- Careers in the Sport and Active Leisure Industry
- Health, Wellbeing and Sport
- Developing Coaching Skills
- Applied Coaching Skills
- Sport Development
- Self-Employment in Sport and Physical Activity
- Organising Events in Sports and Physical Activities
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Minimum of 4 GCSEs at grades 4/C or above including either Maths or English. English is required due to the level of literacy with exams and coursework.
We will review each application on a case-by-case basis to ensure you get a place on the course most suitable for you. Whatever your results, we want to assure you that extenuating circumstances will be considered should you not have the grades indicated above.
One of the ways we do this is through a very effective ‘6 weeks to success programme’ that operates from the first day you start your course. This includes support such as (but not limited to):
- Allowing you to change courses if you change your mind in the first 6 weeks -subject to availability
- Moving you between course levels if you are finding your current level too easy / too hard— subject to availability
- Enrolling you automatically on GCSE English or maths if you do not a pass at a grade 4
- One-to-one reviews with your academic tutor to ensure you are progressing and achieving well
Delivery will be face-face with a mixture classroom and practical based units.
Mixture of Exams and Coursework based units. Practical assessments are also used throughout the course.
Fees will apply to 19+ learners or those learners who may have studied a Level 3 qualification previously.
There my be the opportunity to go on a number of trips and visits throughout the year locally and further afield costing around £100 per year. You will also need to purchase uniform at the beginning of the course for £90.00 which is worn throughout the course.
More information about the how the college can support applicants is available on our College Life web page https://?www?.stam?ford?.ac?.uk/?c?o?l?l?e?g?e?-life